PayFast is committed to keeping you and your information secure. We have a multitude of checks in place to protect both buyers and sellers from fraudulent transactions.
- We use Extended Validation SSL with 256-bit encryption. Only two of the four major South African banks use this, the highest, level of encryption currently available.
- 3D Secure is in place for all credit card transactions.
- All sensitive info is encrypted within our own database.
- We run penetration testing on our system on a weekly basis to look for vulnerabilities. We are only required to do it once every three months, but we run it every week.
- Our entire site, blog and help site are served off secure servers, making it harder to perpetrate phishing attacks.
- We also have an excellent monitoring system that does, among other things: GEO IP tracking, velocity testing, BIN/IIN validation and checks against online databases.
3D Secure is an extra layer of security in using your credit card for online transactions. For online transactions over R1000 you’ll be asked to enter your 3D Secure password (different from the PIN), which is called Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode by the respective credit card companies.
You have to register for 3D Secure with your card issuing bank, and can be set up either as a password of your choice or a one-time-password that will be sent to you by email/SMS. Please click on your bank logo for information on how to set up 3D Secure with your bank, if you haven’t already done so.